Zero waste is a journey to a more sustainable future. Now, I am not an expert by an means but here is what I know, where I’m at and where I want to be.
The 5 R’s of Zero Waste
Refuse what you don’t need.
Reduce what you have.
Reuse what you can.
Rot compost what you can.
Recycle what you cannot.
What does it mean for me?
For me it is about making a conscious and intentional change to reducing the impact that my actions have on the environment. I have been doing this through a few simple swaps and achievable actions.
- Reduce paper coming into the home.We have done this by contacting our providers and having all our bill emailed instead of posted.
- Line/ air-dry clothes. This one isn’t really a swap for us as we don’t own a dryer and don’t intend to buy one.
- Reusable shopping bags.
- Reusable drink bottles. I don’t leave home with out one.
- Meal planning to avoid food waste.
- Buy food with zero/ minimal packaging.
- Keep a stocked pantry to avoid buying takeout.
- Take food with you when you go out. I always have snacks in my handbag.
- Plant an edible veggie garden.
- Compost food scraps. We have invested in a worm farm.
- Eliminate one-time items such as straws, cutlery, paper plates.
- Repair and mend clothes before buying new.
Check out my Pinterest board Zero Waste Ideas for more inspiration
Remember, do what works for you this may not be the same as what works for me. Determine your goals and remember this is a journey where each small action is important and should be celebrated. So celebrating the little things!